A federal judge on Sunday postponed a Trump administration order that would have banned the popular video sharing app TikTok from U.S. smartphone app stores around midnight.
A more comprehensive ban remains scheduled for November, about a week after the presidential election. The judge, Carl Nichols of the U.S District Court for the District of Columbia, did not agree to postpone the later ban.
The ruling followed an emergency hearing Sunday morning in which lawyers for TikTok argued that the administration’s app-store ban would infringe on the company’s First Amendment rights and do irreparable harm to the business.
Earlier this year, President Donald Trump declared that TikTok was a threat to national security and that it must either sell its U.S. operations to U.S. companies or be barred from the country.
He also banned China’s WeChat app from App Stores, but over the weekend, that ban was paused by a California judge as well. In that case, according to NPR, the judge said the Trump administration offered “scant evidence” to support its belief that the Chinese apps were a threat to national security.
TikTok told NPR that it was pleased with the court’s decision.
“We will continue defending our rights for the benefit of our community and employees. At the same time, we will also maintain our ongoing dialogue with the government to turn our proposal, which the President gave his preliminary approval to last weekend, into an agreement.”
Software giant Oracle, in conjunction with Walmart, has agreed to be TikTok’s technology partner in the United States.
Source: USA Today