Veteran Journalist, Kweku Baako has replied the National Democratic Congress on its rejoinder demanding for an apology and saying the journalist’s facts are untrue.
Mr. Kewku Baako on Peace FM’s kokrokoo rebuked the Former President, John Mahama’s ‘Sakawa sod cutting’ comments about the current President Nana Akufo-Addo cutting sod around the country to win the votes of electorates.
Citing Kumasi Airport and the Tema Motorway, Kweku Baako said “My checks indicate that that particular sod cutting was needless. It had no real foundation because it’s true Parliamentary approval for that particular loan facility had been effected but there were conditions precedent which were laid out that without that the agreements will not come into force. Some were value for money audit and others were that he should sign the loan agreement before they can proceed with the construction. At the time he cut the sod, the financing agreements had not been signed. Indeed, these things were done in 2018.“
“My own checks and documentations I have accessed, point to the fact that the first sod cutting was for purely electoral purposes. Oh yes! It was completely baseless. There was no basis for it; no foundation for it but they did cut the sod on 5th December 2016…It was totally unnecessary but it was done for as I said electoral purposes.” he added.
But this did not go down well with the party with the Communications Director, Sammy Gyamfi, issuing a statement to that effect saying “Mr. Baako’s claim that President Mahama cut the sod for the Tema Motorway Interchange project when no budgetary allocation or funding was available for same is a palpable falsehood.
“The facts show, that even though the preparatory works and funding for the said project (a US$55 million grant from the Japanese government through JICA) was secured by the erstwhile NDC/Mahama government, H.E John Dramani Mahama never cut the sod for the commencement of the project when he was President of the Republic of Ghana between the period of 2013 to January 7, 2017”, NDC said.
Kweku Baako has also replied in a statement.
Here is the statement:
My attention has been called to a “rejoinder” from/by the NDC signed by its National Communication Officer, Mr. Sammy Gyamfi, to my submissions on statements made by former President John Mahama relative to “Sakawa Sod Cuttings”.
The submissions under reference were made on the September 17th, 2020 edition of Peace Fm’s flagship programme, Kokrokoo.
The NDC rejoinder demands an unqualified public retraction and apology from me relative to my submissions.
That demand is duly noted.
My response to the said demand will be delivered on Wednesday, September 23, 2020 on the originating platform, Kokrokoo, Peace Fm, 104.3. Stay tuned!
Source: Ghana Waves