Sport

Man City’s Benjamin Mendy Arrives At Court In Prison Van With Police Escort To Face Four Charges of Rape

Benjamin Mendy

A Premier League football star arrived at court today in a prison van under a police escort to face four charges of rape.

Benjamin Mendy, 27, who plays for Manchester City, is accused of attacking three women over ten months – and is also facing a single sexual assault charge.

The defender, who moved to the reigning champions for a reported £52million four years ago, arrived at Chester Magistrates’ Court in a GeoAmey vehicle this morning. 

The DAF van was given an escort by a Peugeot 308 police car before driving into the court building through an open red shutter door, which was then closed behind it.  

French international Mendy earns £90,000 a week and lives in a £5million mansion in Prestbury, an upmarket village near Manchester popular with fellow players.

Mendy is charged with three counts of rape in October 2020 at his home in Prestbury, and the sexual assault of a woman at his home in early January this year.

He is next charged with the rape of a woman in August this year, also at his home. Mendy has also been charged with breaking his bail conditions in August.

Today’s court listing said that after being released on July 26 this year he broke a condition by having more than four persons present at his home address.

The charges relate to three different complainants. Around 14 reporters were on the press bench at the court this morning awaiting the defendant to be called in. 

Proceedings were slightly delayed today while the court awaited the arrival of an interpreter for the France international.

Sportsmail revealed in November that a Premier League star had been arrested on suspicion of rape, but was unable to reveal his identity for legal reasons.

Yesterday, a spokesman for Cheshire Constabulary said the Crown Prosecution Service had authorised the force to charge Mendy in connection with the alleged sex attacks, which involve three female complainants over the age of 16.

The spokesman said: ‘Benjamin Mendy, aged 27, has been charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.

‘The charges relate to three complainants over the age of 16 and are alleged to have taken place between October 2020 and August 2021.

‘Mendy, of Prestbury, has been remanded in police custody and is set to appear at Chester Magistrates’ Court on Friday 27 August.’

He added: ‘Cheshire Constabulary and the Crown Prosecution Service would like to remind everyone that criminal proceedings against Mendy are live and that he has a right to a fair trial.

‘It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice ongoing proceedings.’

Mendy was part of France’s World Cup winning squad in 2018, but did not play in the final. He has made 75 appearances for Man City since signing from Monaco in 2017.

He played in Man City’s first two games this season but was on the bench for last weekend’s league win over Norwich City.

A Man City spokesman said: ‘Manchester City can confirm that, following his being charged by police, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.

‘The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete.’

Footballer Benjamin Mendy arrives at Chester Magistrates Court today under police escort

Related posts

Head Coach of Hearts of Oaks resigns

Ghana Waves Radio News

Solskjaer in the spotlight for Manchester derby

Ghana Waves Radio News

I was a beneficiary of Rawlings’ debt to beans sellers – Azumah Nelson

Ghana Waves
LIVE OFFLINE
Loading...