Ghana Waves App
Some major roads in the capital city of Accra will be temporarily closed to traffic on Tuesday, September 15, as ECOWAS leaders visit for a meeting at the Peduase Lodge.
At least leaders from eight countries will be attending the high-powered meeting to discuss how to resolve the ongoing crisis in Mali.
President Akufo-Addo as Chairman of ECOWAS will be hosting the leaders, as such, Ghana has to facilitate their ease of movement and other diplomatic obligations.
Superintendent Sasu Mensah of the Motor Traffic & Traffic Department (MTTD) told the media at a press briefing on Sunday that the closure is to ensure a safe passage for the diplomats while they visit.
According to him, the road closures will help to prevent unnecessary delays, as the diplomats move to the meeting venue.
He announced the roads that will be closed temporarily on Tuesday will be:
- The Kotoka International Airport to the Liberation Road at Opeibea
- The airport bypass to Giffard Road through to the Liberation Road
- Kempinski hotel to the National Theater on the Independence avenue
- Liberation Road through to N4 to Peduase Lodge
- Liberation Road from 37 to Obasanjo Street, Tang Palace Hotel
- Independence Avenue to Ako-Adjei.
He cautioned the general public to adhere to traffic regulations as the country hosts the diplomats.
“Motorist should park on the right when they see the convoy approaching,” he said. “Any inconvenience caused is deeply regretted.”
He pleaded with the general public to pay heed to the announcement and use alternatives routes.
Supt Sasu Mensah advised that motorists should plan their journeys with the announcement in mind on Tuesday to avoid any delays and discomfort.