The Ministry of Finance has rejected claims that the debatable Agyapa deal has been put on hold.
A publication had suggested that the offer had been suspended after the government met Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) on September 2, 2020.
The Ministry, nevertheless, disputed this claim in a statement.
“The Ministry wishes to state that, the Agyapa Royalties transaction has not been suspended as is being reported on the Ghanaweb portal. We wish to also state that Mr. Mark Agyemang, Technical Manager of the Public Interest and Accountability Committee, who is purported to have said this in an interview with Starr FM, was not in this meeting,” the statement said.
The Ministry described that the government and the CSOs deliberated over on issues associating with openness and involvement over the bargain at the deal in a meeting.
“The meeting with the CSOs was one such consultation and the Ministry agreed with them to further broaden the consultations and to solicit further input from them and other Ghanaian constituencies going forward,” the statement also said.
The government through the Minerals Revenue Investment Fund (MIIF) set up Agyapa Royalties Limited to monetise Ghana’s gold royalties.
In exchange, the company intends to raise revenue between $500 million and $750 million for the government on the Ghana and London Stock markets to invest developmental projects.
The deal has become a topical concern following issues from members of the opposition.
Civil Society groups in Mines and Power have also described the Unique Purpose Vehicle as one which is not clear and should be suspended.
Source: Ghana Waves